Such a vital part of living with mental illness or just for any person going through a tough time is a support system of friends or trusted family. I just wanted to share a snippet of conversation I had with a friend earlier today (with their permission, of course) of one of the many RIGHT things to say to a friend in pain. Also, I want to touch on a few quick major tips when interacting with someone in pain or distress.
- state your love
- offer empathy or sympathy, whichever applies
- be your normal self, for example: if this is someone you normally make jokes with, try to slide in some very mild/subtle silliness or something you know will make them smile.
- let them know you are a safe space
- tell someone what to feel
- lose your patience
- force a person to talk
- abandon the person if they need to be alone for a while
here’s the conversation: